Thursday, March 22, 2012

New York Minutes

It has been almost two weeks since I've arrived in the Big Apple. City of hopes, which has created (and crushed) millions of dreams. So far, it has been my best travel experience. 

There is always something new in New York everyday; hundreds things to do, thousands different characters to meet, and you instantly feel like you are in a giant melting pot. Americans, african-american, hispanic, asian, european... all embraces their unique individuality in this city that never sleeps.

My first New York moment was meeting friendly officers at the airport (I won't say which one). Unaware that I forgot to fill in my custom declaration form, I met this officer -who to me looked like Morgan Freeman- who was kind enough to let me in without any questions. When I walked to the exit, 2 officers asked for my form and said that I must have lost it somewhere ("or else you wouldn't pass the officer"). A friendly lady officer took me back to the visitor counter and so I met Morgan Freeman once again. He said, "Oh, I'm sorry about that. I thought I've seen you earlier... Have a nice holiday." Isn't it just sweet? :)

I remember sitting on the plane with this South Indian lady whose daughter went to the US to get a physician degree -Princeton, I believe- and she said she would stay in New jersey for 4 months. She said, "You are very lucky, they usually ask for a sponsor," and I just smiled.

United States isn't as stiff as they said it is. New York isn't as scary as they said it is.

I guess in many ways, the Hollywood movies have imprinted such images about America which not necessarily true. Just like when you see Indian actors sing and dance under the rain -of cuz with hundreds of background dancers- in Bollywood movies... doesn't mean they actually do that in real life :)

After pinching myself to make sure that I was in the US -because the airport was so quiet when I arrived- I gathered all the information that I could get and made my way to the nearest metro station. 

To be honest, there were lack of signage and clues at the airport, if you compare it with Europe or other tourist-friendly Asian countries like Singapore and Hong Kong.

But I managed to reach Jamaica station and figured out my way to Manhattan subway train. Lucky I had downloaded this awesome "NY subway" app on my iPhone and memorized the train route to the place where I stay. (Tips: Always memorize your destination address and phone number, and download apps that would work even in offline mode/ without the internet connection). Forget Google Maps and calendar if you don't have a proper internet connection.

First of all, I'm not an ordinary type of tourist who likes to bring large paper map and carry a backpack which loudly screams, "Help! I'm a tourist!". In many cases, I often become the tourist that other tourists ask for direction (although I couldn't be much of a help either). IMHO, the "backpack culture" is so yesterday; for me, the most interesting way to travel is to blend with the society and culture and live like the locals. So, instead of living in a fancy hotel that might drain your wallet after a week, find a cozy hostel or rent an apartment (I never try "couch surfing" so I wouldn't recommend that extreme as well). Instead of taking the expensive cab -which pretty much means you are putting your life in the cab driver's hands- and neglecting the walking experience, learn about the public transportation -including subway, bus and tram- and master the direction. I am a huge fan of electric train. 

As I was waiting for the 1 train, a Vietnamese girl came up to me and asked for direction. She wanted to catch the next bus back to Connecticut, where she has been taking her master's degree in business for the last seven months. I told her I'm going to transfer at Penn station. She said she'd follow me so we could go together. I said okay. She had officially become my first friend in New York City. I wish her luck for her study.

Anyways, more stories to come, including about men and hook-ups, but I'll sign off for now... Like my friend Angie said to my lazy ass, "Hey, you're in New York!! Just go out and enjoy the city!" :D 

No comments: