Thursday, March 22, 2012

Why traveling?

As I said earlier, I'm not a typical tourist who ambitiously wants to visit as many places at once... I wouldn't also list "traveling" as one of my hobbies *smile* because it is not. It is a necessity. I find that I can relate more to other cultures and embrace diversity by walking in their shoes, their subway, or whatever :)

I'm not a brave tourist like many would think, but I calculate things accordingly and go with the flow after that. Since I came from a middle class family -who consider vacation as an unnecessary expense- I didn't get to travel that much when I was in school. So now, I'm listing all those places that I would want to explore while I have a perfectly good shape, strong feet and more common sense (compared to when I was a naughty school girl). Oh, and I like traveling solo!

Today I was overslept and didn't go to any new place in town. After resting till 12pm (!!) I decided to cook omellette at the kitchen and just read the international news. I went to Brooklyn and visited Ikea store yesterday. I like Manhattan, and Brooklyn, as the two have different characters and quite safe (if you compare it to the bronx or harlem). If I were to live here I would find a place in these two boroughs.

"So were you surprised when tou first set foot in New York?" my friend asked. I paused for a while and remembered those friendly african-american lady officers and a security guard at New York Public Library who called me "sweetie" and "beautiful"...and said, "Actually, no. It was just like what I've imagined before," Even better. But of cuz, I wouldn't say something overboard and keep my cool. A friend said that it was surprising to see so many african-american and hispanic in one place. Lucky I don't have that stereotype against them, although sometimes I can't relate to what they're saying. I guess Middle Eastern would be the most foreign culture that I haven't tried to understand yet.


@ Cafe Lalo (where "You've got mail" was filmed), Upper West Side, Manhattan- New York, 10pm.

No comments: